Welcome to Spring Lake!
To start, please verify your address is within Spring Lake Public Schools’ boundary.
If it is not, please see our Non-Resident information below.
Kindergarten Enrollment 2023-2024
If your child will be 5 years of age on or before September 1, 2023, and you are interested in Kindergarten through Spring Lake Public Schools, please contact Holmes Elementary or Jeffers Elementary.
Information for Kindergarten enrollment will be available after April 9, 2023.
Holmes: email@example.com (preferred) or phone 616-846-5504 option 2
Jeffers: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or phone 616-846-5503 option 2
Mrs. Teays (Holmes) or Mrs. Theune (Jeffers) will go over the following:
- Confirm residency
- Explain the enrollment process
- Answer any enrollment questions you may have
If you live outside the SLPS district, please read the information below regarding Non-Resident/Schools of Choice Enrollment.
For information on the Great Start Readiness Program, please click the link below:
Welcome to Spring Lake Public Schools! We look forward to meeting your family. If you are a resident in the district, or if you have been accepted under the 105/105c Schools of Choice program, please contact the school office you wish to enroll your student.
Spring Lake High School / Alternative Education – 616.846.5505
Spring Lake Middle School – 616.846.5502
Spring Lake Intermediate School – 616.846.6845
Holmes Elementary – 616.846.5504
Jeffers Elementary – 616.846.5503
You will be provided a link to our registration form via email.
The following items must be provided before the enrollment process can be completed:
- Proof of Residence– (First, double check your address with us. You might not be in our district even though the city is Spring Lake.) We will then need two pieces of identification to verify that you live in the school district unless you have been granted Non-Resident status. A sales agreement, utility bill, driver’s license, etc. will be acceptable.
- Transcript of Grades– Please obtain an unofficial copy of a transcript and grades earned to date, if applicable.
- Immunization Records– Don’t assume that the immunization records contained in your child’s cumulative file are up-to-date. We cannot enroll your child until we have all of the required immunizations.
- Birth Certificate– A copy of the birth certificate must be a certified copy – not a photo copy. Also, we will need guardianship papers, adoption certificate, legal name change, if applicable.
- Special Education– If your child has been receiving special educations services, a copy of the most recent IEP is essential.
Non-Resident/Schools of Choice Enrollment
If you live outside of the district and are considering applying for Schools of Choice, Spring Lake participates in both the Section 105 and 105c Schools of Choice state plans and will accept limited enrollment for all grade levels as space allows.
The 2023-2024 Schools of Choice application will open May 10, 2023 and close on May 31, 2023.
Please review these considerations and requirements:
Special Considerations for Parents/Students
- We agree with Michigan lawmakers that siblings should be kept together in a single school district whenever possible. As a result, siblings of current non-resident students may receive preference in filling district openings.
- SLPS is not required to provide transportation for Schools of Choice students under either program. For more information, please visit our Transportation Department page.
- The Michigan High School Athletic Association requires a 60-day waiting period for students in grades 10 – 12 after enrolling in a new district under Schools of Choice before they are eligible to participate in athletics.
Section 105 &105c Choice Programs
Non-resident students residing in districts within the OAISD and the contiguous boundaries of the OAISD (Muskegon, Kent and Allegan ISDs) may apply for enrollment to SLPS under the timeline and guidelines listed on this page.
- Openings in each grade level vary from year to year and some grades may not have any available spots.
- The 2023-2024 application will open May 10 and close May 31, 2023.
- If the district receives more applications than openings, a random drawing will take place after the application period has closed.
- Kindergarten applicants are requested to attend Kindergarten screening – date to be determined.
- Parents will be notified of acceptance or non-acceptance on our about June 7, 2023. Parents are required to confirm acceptance with SLPS within two weeks of notification.
- Non-accepted students will be placed on a waiting list in the order their names were drawn and notified of openings if a spot should become available, but no later than the first week of school.
- As stated above, siblings of current non-resident students will receive preference if space allows.
- Students who have been suspended within the past two years or have been expelled from any school district may be excluded.
- A written agreement between the resident district and SLPS must be in place for students who receive special education services or programs as to the responsibility of payment for the added cost of required services or programs for the student. Enrollment may be denied if an acceptable agreement cannot be obtained from the resident district.
- 105 and 105c are lottery-oriented systems, not first-come, first-served ones. Only one application may be submitted per student.
- Once a student is accepted, annual re-application is not required.
Please contact us at 616-846-5500.