|Dear Laker Parents,
Following Board approval at the February, 2020 meeting, Spring Lake Public Schools is opening a Developmental Kindergarten (DK) program for the 2020-21 school year. There will be 1 such classroom at both Holmes and Jeffers.
Students for whom DK is the right fit are students who…
- May or may not have had previous formal learning experiences outside of the home.
- May be eligible by age for kindergarten but may not be ready socially or emotionally.
- May still be very shy and may lack school confidence.
- May need to develop additional fine motor, social, or attention skills that are necessary to meet the learning expectations in kindergarten.
- May be more interested in learning through play than from a more formal fashion which focuses on specific pre-reading, emergent writing, and math skills.
Our DK program will be one that focuses on:
- Providing a learning environment with fewer number of students.
- Providing an intentional play-based classroom learning environment that focuses on the developmental needs of the whole child.
- Using cross-content, play-based learning centers to gain a strong academic base for continued school success.
- Providing students with an extra year of time to become confident, self-motivated learners.
- Building academic confidence through hands-on learning without the high academic expectations required of a traditional kindergarten classroom.
- Taking students where they are developmentally, socially and emotionally, and helping them develop a strong set of foundational academic and inter-personal skills.
- Preparing each child with strong pre-requisite skills needed to be successful in a formal academic kindergarten classroom the following year.
Eligibility criteria for the program will be developed and refined over the next 4 to 6 weeks. During this same timeframe, we will be researching curricular options.
If you have a child who may be eligible for DK, I encourage you to complete our preliminary kindergarten registration HERE. Screening will occur in June and completing the registration at that link will assure that we send you the dates, times, and locations for kindergarten screening.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Dennis Furton, Superintendent